What's New on the Site
- Valley Vision is hosting a Northern Region Industry Advisory meeting at SMUD on February 21. Employers are invited to join colleagues and faculty for panel discussions on connecting industry, workforce, government, and education. Info and RSVP here.
- The National HVACR Educators and Trainers Conference is being held at the South Point Hotel in Las Vegas, NV from March 23-25, 2020. Also a Daikin Ductless Installation Class will be held on March 26, 2020 (limited seating). Contact Bruce Noble for details.
- Green Technology Training hosted a day-long workshop to review the updates to CALGreen (Title 24, Part 11) and the California Energy Code (Title 24, Part 6) for residential and non-residential buildings. May 15 at the Sacramento Convention Center.
- On May 16 at the Sacramento Convention Center, the Sustainable Facilities Forum – the evolution of the Green California Summit - addressed strategies and resources for ZNE construction and retrofits, organic waste management, EV charging infrastructure, and more.
ECU In The News
- PG&E is deploying microgrids to communities particularly vulnerable to fires - read this article.
- Sacramento is spending $30 million on Tiny Houses, and Sacramento's mayor is advocating similar policies across the state of California. Read more here.
- Power cuts in California are driving interest in battery storage technologies, creating career opportunities. Read this blog post from the Center for a Competitive Workforce.
- Microgrids are a viable solution to the power cuts being experienced in California due to fire danger, according to this Los Angeles Times article.
- The Shark Tank's Kevin O'Leary says "Be a plumber: Get rich!" Watch here.
- Building Automation Systems are forecasted to grow 11.1% annually through 2026 to a total market of $141 billion, according to this research report by Persistence Market Research as reported in Digital Daily News.
- Builder Online conducted a study of building materials and practices that afford the greatest protection and resistance to wildfire damage. See the full article here.
- Microgrids are impacting time-of-use metering in California. Read this white paper from Enel X, brought to you by MicrogridKnowledge.com.
- Getting to 100% Zero Emissions: California's Investor-Owned Utilities are on track to reach 50% renewable energy sources by 2020, but UtilityDive.com reports that the path to 100% zero emissions across all sectors by 2045 isn't as clear. Read the article.
- Half of America's jobs require more than a High School diploma, but less than a 4-year degree. Why are these jobs under so many students' radars? Find out in this The74Million.org analysis.
- Automation may be threatening some jobs, but education is creating new ones according to this PBS News Hour story.
- More than half of US organizations plan to increase their energy efficiency spending over the next 12 months, according to a recent survey conducted by Johnson Controls. Download the full report here.
- PG&E has received approval to procure 567.5 MegaWatts of storage yielding 2,720 MWh of capacity, more than 4 times the capacity of any existing installation. Read the press release from Energy Storage North America (ESNA).
- Navigant Research forecasts revenue for the commercial, energy efficient HVAC technologies market to grow from $29.4 billion in 2018 to $61.2 billion in 2027, owing to current regulation supporting commercial building owners to adopt smart controls, enabling intelligent management and building operations.
- The Honda Distribution Center in Torrance has commissioned North America's largest microgrid installation, with a 2 MW solar array backed up by 546 kWh in storage - read more here.
- Educators around the state met at the California Independent System Operator in Folsom, CA for a 2-day symposium on Integrated Distributed Energy Resources and the impact they're having on the grid, the climate, and the workforce. Read this article from CAEconomy.org.
- The Construction sector is hot! High paying jobs abound, and the Community Colleges are poised to get you the training you need for a great career. Read this article from NPREd.
- California is helping low income women train for construction jobs - read the CNN Money article.
- Check out this article on High Performance Building Operators at AutomatedBuildings.com.
- The Lighting Controls Association (LCA) has partnered with the California Community Colleges to provide LCA's Education Express online training programs - read the announcement.
- Over 1.9 million jobs in America are focused on Energy Efficiency, with 13% job growth. California is the biggest market for Energy Efficiency Workers, at over 320,000 jobs. Read E2.ORG's study.
- Read the CEC's study exploring barriers to and opportunities for expanding low-income customers’ access to energy efficiency, weatherization, and renewable energy investments.
- NPR reports that San Francisco began requiring rooftop solar on new commercial buildings beginning January, 2017.
- Why energy for industry matters: Read this release from Siemens.
- This report says that California has the 4th lowest per capita energy consumption in the country.
- The CA Economic Summit has taken notice of our HVAC Employers Collaborative.